2022 Writing Contest Dates
Monday, April 4, 2022
Sign up below by Thursday, March 31, 2022
Thank you to those who have submitted a story and thank you to the Taradiddle judges.
Each writer was asked to write a story using this writing prompt: You wake up one morning, and discover that overnight, you turned into a cat! We are pleased to announce the finalists. Click on their links to read their stories!
First place: Emelia Prevenas from Stoughton, WI
Second place: Saanvi Kondoju from Madison, WI
Third place: Avery
Kerrigan James Walsh from Sun Prairie, WI
Shriya Kondoju from Madison, WI
High School Contest
First place: Mary Bolinger
Second place: Mira from Thiensville, WI
Monday, Sept. 19, 2022
Sign up below by Thursday, September 15, 2022
- Entrants must be 18 years and younger.
- No cost to enter contests.
- Write original stories inspired by the Taradiddle animal-themed writing prompts.
- There are two age categories: Elementary Contests for ages 13 years and younger and High School Contests for ages 14-18 years. Enter under the age category you will be at the time of the contest to receive contest and prize information. If you are under the age of 13 years, your parent or guardian will need to sign you up with their email address. If you are 13 years and older, you can sign up with your email address. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you do not see emails from us!)
- The sooner you sign up, the more hints you will receive about the writing prompt for the next contest!
- Each contest starts on a Thursday and ends on the following Monday. When the contest starts, we will email you the writing prompt to get you started on your story. You will have by midnight (in your time zone) on the following Monday to submit your story inspired by the writing prompt. Submissions are made by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org. If email is not available, please mail your story to: Guardian Whiskers, 1004 East Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53703, postmarked by Monday. Be sure to indicate your age category.
- Only one submission is allowed per person.
- The Elementary Contests have a maximum word count of 500 words. The High School Contests have a maximum word count of 1,000 words.
- Judges will determine the top three finalists in each age category.
- Entrants retain the copyright of their submitted work. However, entrants grant Guardian Whiskers the right to reproduce any submission on its website or any other Guardian Whiskers publication regardless of medium or publication.
- Guardian Whiskers asks for international rights. Should you re-publish the piece at a later date, we ask that you acknowledge in print that Guardian Whiskers published it first.
- Only original submissions will be accepted. We will not accept simultaneous submissions or work that has been published elsewhere.
1st Place: $150 / 2nd Place: $100 / 3rd Place: $50
The top three finalists in each age category will be featured as published authors on Taradiddle.org.
How Contests Work
Write original stories inspired by Taradiddle animal-themed writing contest prompts. Enter for a chance to win cash prizes and become a published young author on this website! Contest and prize information is sent by email. Be sure to keep an eye on your email inbox (or to check your spam folder if you don’t see it).
Enter under your age category to receive contest and prize information by email.
Taradiddle Writing Contests
Thank you to our supporters and sponsors!